How Do I Report International Parental Kidnapping?

Parental Kidnapping

Parental abduction or kidnapping is a serious crime that can have lasting consequences for the child and their family. If your child has been abducted and removed from the country by the other parent, you can take steps to locate them and ensure their safety.

What is International Parental Kidnapping?

International parental kidnapping is the illegal removal of a child from the home country by one parent without the other left-behind parent’s consent or knowledge. In most cases, one parent commits this crime against the other to gain custody of their shared children. Additionally, international parental abduction can also occur when a parent abducts their children to protect them from domestic violence or neglect. Nevertheless, this type of abduction may also be considered a kidnapping.

Moreover, in many international parental abduction cases, one parent brings their child from another country back to their home country. However, there are also instances where one parent takes their child without alerting the other. This can result in severe legal consequences for the perpetrator of this type of kidnapping.

How Do I Report International Parental Kidnapping?

If you suspect another parent has taken your child out of the country, you must report this immediately. The sooner you report it, the sooner authorities can begin investigating. The first step is to contact your local authorities and let them know what happened. If possible, bring along any relevant documents or photos so that police can use them in their investigation.

Next, contact U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). They will work alongside local law enforcement to help find your child as quickly as possible. In addition, The Office of Children’s Issues at the U.S. Department of State should also be contacted immediately. They are in charge of the situation when international parental abduction occurs. Suppose you are seeking the return of a child abducted by a parent, guardian, or another family member. In that case, CA/OCS can assist you in locating your child and negotiating a resolution with the abducting parent.

In addition to contacting law enforcement, you can also contact The Committee for Missing Children, Inc. They will assist a parent whose child has been abducted by the other parent. The company will cover their airfare, lodging, and other travel expenses so they can successfully prosecute their child’s return and ensure that courts are enforcing custody orders.

Preventing International Parental Abduction

It is difficult for a parent to prevent international parental abduction, but it is possible to reduce the likelihood that an unauthorized person will take their child. To protect yourself and your family from these dangers, you should follow these tips:

  1. Always ensure that you have up-to-date contact information for the other parent of your children. This includes their address and telephone number, as well as a list of emergency contacts they may need if they cannot reach you directly.
  2. Discuss with your children how crucial it is that they do not speak to strangers or leave the house without permission from a responsible adult, such as their grandparents.
  3. Maintain copies of all legal documents pertaining to custody agreements between both parents and, if applicable, grandparents so that, in the event of an unforeseen event, you will be able to access them.

Contact The Committee for Missing Children, Inc. Today

The cases of international parental abduction are a complex legal situation that can have far-reaching effects on the lives of both parents and children. It is important to remember that if you or someone you know has been affected by this type of case, you do not have to go through it alone. There are available resources, such as The Committee for Missing Children, Inc., to assist you in understanding your rights when trying to recover a missing child, locating an attorney who can guide you through the procedure, and advocating for yourself in court. Contact us today!